Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reader's Advisory - You'll never guess what I did!!


April 16th and 17th found me at an Indiana Genealogical Society two-day seminar in Fort Wayne. Actually, the seminar was only one day, but there was a workshop on Friday for members of genealogical societies. FYI – librarians earn CEUs on both days. This year, the Friday workshop focus was preservation at the various levels – genealogical society, local (county) and state. And because I have a large interest in archiving, I just had to attend. Saturday offered various topics of interest to we who refer to ourselves as genealogists.

Anyway, because of the Friday seminar, Allen County Public Library remained opened for a late night genealogy research opportunity. I attended the late night with a friend of mine because I needed access to WIFI and my cheapy motel did not offer it (but what can you expect for $30/night?). Anyway, as I was working on an assignment for my other class, I noticed an older gentleman (in his 70s or so) reading a paperback called The Texan. I kept thinking about the body of work we have for this class, but also what I have taken upon myself to read on my own. You see, I have somehow read three Elmer Kelton westerns from his Texas Ranger series during this semester. And I have to admit that they are pretty darn good. So I got up from my seat and walked over to the gentleman and his wife. I introduced myself and stated I had noticed his book. I then proceeded to ask if he had read any of Kelton’s books. He had never heard of him. Bingo!!! Although unsolicited, I performed an act of Reader’s Advisory. One that I never thought I would do, but I bet neither did any of you! I wrote the author’s name on a slip of paper and handed it to the gentleman and he seemed appreciative. We talked for a little while and then I went on about my business.

Why did I do this? You know, I’m not really sure why. I didn’t know this man at all. But something inside me said to do this little act of kindness. Accidentally, I found Elmer Kelton and enjoyed his books. They are good westerns. I feel as though I am right there. Of course, having a passion for American history helps. But Kelton’s westerns aren’t sappy with romance like a good amount of historical fiction. Love is in the air with Kelton, but it is more reasonable, more down to earth, more pleasing (at least for me). Is the lack of sappy romance because the author is a man? I don’t know, but I get more landscape, more realism, less fantasy than historical fiction.

Anyway, I am proud of my unsolicited Reader’s Advisory advice performance and hope you are as well. I just had to tell someone. Well, I have to get back to my reading now. An archivist advised me to read as much history as possible since I don’t have a college history background. Sounds like a good excuse for me to continue hanging out in the non-fiction area.

1 comment: