Friday, February 26, 2010

Fiction and the quality argument


We have had a couple discussions concerning quality vs. demand in class. They have been interesting discussions to say the least, at least from where I sit. But isn't it interesting to know that the o
ld saying is true, "The more things change, the more they stay the same"?

I sometimes research newspaper archives in my genealogy research. My reading has led me to an article in the NY Times archive with a press date of December 20, 1902. Here we are over 100 years later, and the issue presented in this article still resonates today. You will find it at http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9802EED71E3DEE32A25753C2A9649D946397D6CF. It is titled "Public Library Problems."

Now I don't know if I will ever find myself in a position to have to make these decisions because I hope to work in a state library or an archive or a historical library. But as a patron, I feel slighted by my public library because the non-fiction section, at least the American history selection, can be very lacking. In other words, I have to do a lot of ILL (yes, I am jealous of the fiction readers). I know I might catch some flak for saying this, but if a fiction patron doesn't get every book in their library that they want, I just can't feel any sympathy. I hear Andrea's argument that libraries are not bookstores and I agree. But even if they aren't collection wise, libraries are just like bookstores in all their attractions. I am referring to the loud patrons (because being respectful of others is now taboo) and the coffee shops. I am become confused as to where I am, whether I should get out my money or my library card out of my wallet. I know - my neighbor has already told me I was born 100 years too late. But I am frustrated too and I pay taxes just like everyone else.

So pardon me while I bow out of this argument, because I have already figured out that one way or another I will find the books I want to read. My thought is that there is more than on e way to skin a cat. Perhaps it's time for fiction readers to figure that out as well.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on many of these points. The pendulum has swung over to fiction, hasn't it?

    If libraries become too much like bookstores, not sure the folks who dole out tax dollars for the public good won't eventually notice.

    ReplyDelete