Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let freedom ring


Last night, on my way home from my other class, I turned the radio onto station WICR. This station is out of the University of Indianapolis. For those who are not familiar with WICR, the station plays jazz during the day, amidst some talk shows, and classical music during the rush hours and at night, unless there's a basketball game. Anyway, last night, the featured composer was Aaron Copland, one of my absolute favorite American composers. The piece playing was from "Appalachian Spring" which includes the Shaker song "Simple Gifts".

So where am I going with this? Well, this all reminded me that even with all of our faults, America is a great place to live. It is true we don't get everything right. Even I have had my moments of head shaking and disagreeing with those running our governments. I believe in freedom and I also believe there are times we have taken political correctness just a little too far. I am not naive enough to believe that our Founding Fathers were perfect. but one of the things they did get right was providing us the right to read what we want.

Oh, I know, we still have our naysayers, book burners, protesters, and who knows what all. But that is another freedom we were given. We can say what we want. Well, within limits such as libel. So we can pen what we want, and we can read what we want. Isn't it great? So read to your hearts' content!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! For exactly the reasons you've proclaimed are the reasons why I think librarians actually make for strong patriots and supporters of this great but at times very seriously flawed nation. A wise man once said, "My country right or wrong, when right to be kept right and when wrong to be made right."

    ReplyDelete