Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bonanza (in more ways than one)





The Buckskin Line
by Elmer Kelton


If you read my Secret Shopper post, you know I ended up checking out an Elmer Kelton western, The Buckskin Line, which is the first book in his Texas Ranger series. Well, I finished it a few days ago. I have already read a western for this class and have blogged about it, but I just had to let you know how it went.

First of all, it doesn't fit all of the characteristics of a western as described in our text. It takes place beginning 1840 and ends in 1863. But it's the Texas Rangers and they're fighting Indians. There are ranches and cattle and farms - danger all around in the beautiful Texas country. Rusty is kind of a loner, but not one who is riding around, rights the wrong, and then leaves for another place. He is a loner but not by choice and he leaves his home to do perform the duty he was sworn to do. Just like his 'father'. And he wants to go back home. But I still think it's a western.

Kelton's story begins with the story with the Comanche Indians on a raid, killing the parents of a toddler. The boy is taken by one of the Indians to be his son only to lose him when the Texas Rangers find them. One of the Rangers and his wife 'adopt' the boy, whom they nicknamed Rusty (for his read hair). We then advance twenty some years and find Rusty a grown man living at home. His 'mom' dies of natural causes, but his father is murdered. Although wanting revenge, Rusty is called by the Texas Rangers for service and Texas votes to leave the Union. Now that most of the men have gone to war, the few remaining Texas Rangers, including Rusty, have to keep the Indians in line. But Rusty can't let go the revenge he wants for Mike.

Did I like it? Well, let's just say that I am waiting on the 2nd book in the series to be returned to the library. At least in this book, I didn't have to read about how Rusty and the daughter of a family he meets can't do without each other or get all sappy. I am hoping to pass this writer onto my grandson in a couple years. I think he might enjoy the books. It's well written, keeps you attached to it. Well paced. Nothing gruesome, no killing details. You're told the scalps were taken, but you can use your imagination. Kelton, who just passed away last year, does not use a lot of western jargon or lingo, at least not in this book.

Yes, it's head 'em up, move 'em out for me for a while anyway. Just as long as I don't stop reading nonfiction. I have to get my fix from time to time.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! You are reading fiction. One of my two favorite bumper stickers, applies here..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what would be that bumper sticker?

    ReplyDelete